The Office of Public Works

Grangegorman Military Cemetery

Grangegorman Military Cemetery was founded in 1876 as a graveyard for soldiers (and their families) of what was Marlborough Barracks, now McKee Barracks. It is the largest military cemetery in Ireland.

It contains the remains of soldiers from across the British Empire, who died of natural causes or of their injuries or who were killed in action in Ireland. There are some remains of soldiers who fought in the Crimean War.

The main gate is known as the ‘Funeral Gate’; it has three small crosses on top indicating that this is cemetery gate. These gates have not been opened for a number of years (an exception was made for the visit of Pope John Paul II in 1979). There are pedestrian gates which are open.

As you enter near the boundary wall, on the right hand sides are rows of children’s graves from different denominations, including Church of Ireland, Church of England, Roman Catholic, Wesleyans, and children who came from the Royal Hibernian Military School in the Phoenix Park.

Free Guided Tours

Guided tours of Grangegorman Military Cemetery continue on Thursdays until the 9th of November 2017 at 11am. Meet inside the cemetery gates or phone 01-6770095 with enquiries.

Download

Grangegorman Military Cemetery Conservation Management Plan 2015 – 2020

Plan a Visit

Opening hours, location, transport and more.

Learn More

Read about the history of the cemetery.

Browse

Modern and historical images of the cemetery.

Contact

Get in touch with any questions or comments.