The Office of Public Works
Grangegorman Military Cemetery
Grangegorman Military Cemetery was founded in 1876 as a graveyard for soldiers (and their families) of what was Marlborough Barracks, now McKee Barracks. It is the largest military cemetery in Ireland.
It contains the remains of soldiers from across the British Empire, who died of natural causes or of their injuries or who were killed in action in Ireland. There are some remains of soldiers who fought in the Crimean War.
The main gate is known as the ‘Funeral Gate’; it has three small crosses on top indicating that this is cemetery gate. These gates have not been opened for a number of years (an exception was made for the visit of Pope John Paul II in 1979). There are pedestrian gates which are open.
As you enter near the boundary wall, on the right hand sides are rows of children’s graves from different denominations, including Church of Ireland, Church of England, Roman Catholic, Wesleyans, and children who came from the Royal Hibernian Military School in the Phoenix Park.