The Office of Public Works
Arbour Hill Cemetery
The graves are located under a low mound on a terrace of Wicklow granite in what was once the old prison yard. The gravesite is surrounded by a limestone wall on which their names are inscribed in Irish and English. On the prison wall opposite the gravesite is a plaque with the names of other people who gave their lives in 1916.
The adjoining Church of the Sacred Heart, which is the prison chapel for Arbour Hill prison, is maintained by the Department of Defence. At the rear of the church lies the old cemetery, where lie the remains of British military personnel who died in the Dublin area in the nineteenth and early twentieth century.
A doorway beside the 1916 memorial gives access to the Irish United Nations Veterans Association house and memorial garden.
Each May the Annual 1916 Commemoration Ceremony is held at Arbour Hill, hosted by the Minister for Defence. Irish political parties also host commemorative ceremonies at the cemetery.
Free tours of Arbour Hill continue every Sunday at 2pm until the end of October 2017. Contact us for further information.